Monday, February 14, 2011

The Beginning of a Rainy Week

Winter is back.  We need more rain so I have no complaints.  The dogs like the cooler weather, as do I. Think it makes us all feel good all under to quote an old boss ;-)  If my Dad or brother are reading this, they'll recognize that quote :-)

Nothing special with the dogs today - sort of an easy Monday after a busy weekend.  Both dogs wore their spiffy new citronella collars while in the car at work.  I hope that is going to be enough to keep Tor quiet.  Realized that the collars are definitely being triggered by other things.  I'm not thrilled about that - muddies the message.  Still, I think they are discriminating enough to do the job.

Gave them both a quick run this morning.  Played the ball sharing game with them.  Ended up having a pretty spectacular crash between them anyway.  Tor was going for the long ball.  Gata was with me doing little things for short tosses.  She was going for a short toss when Tor slammed into her with speed on his way back with his ball.  He decided to get hers, too.  That was enough for the morning.  Gata was a little hesitant to put her left front down but walked it off within a dozen steps.  Still - hate to see that sort of stuff.  Makes me very nervous.  Have been moving more toward another park that is really nice, close to work, and well lit enough to work on it in the morning before work even though it is still dark out.  Like to let them just blow off some steam now and then but not if it is going to cause visits to the vet.

Worked both dogs over by Google this evening.  Worked on Gata's SchH send out.  Gave her a throw on a particularly nice run out as she was running to reinforce the speed and straightness.  Ended up getting some of that circling behavior that drives me crazy.  But she does know her job and that only occurred once.  The next send out was beautiful - fast, straight and a very fast turn and down.  She did that about 4 times - all beautiful.  Rewarded each a little differently and that was about it.  All the rewards were long throws - her favorite, difference was in the timing, direction of the throw, and where I threw it from (start position, next to Gata, partway).

Tor was just the basics again.  Realized that I have lost the basic positions in strange positions relative to me.  Have been doing too many in front of me, as part of fronts and with outing the tug.  So have to go back and work on those again.  I don't expect it to take long but I should know better.  Part of it also has to do with the toy reward (tug or ball) - he freezes up a little sometimes when that has come out.  Anyway, more to work on ...

No comments:

Post a Comment