Thursday, August 9, 2012

Nutrient Guidelines ...

As I'm working to get the vets at Auburn to supply me with some specifics to design the "best" basic diet for Gata, I find that I am at a loss as to what all should be included and at what levels. For the purposes of jump starting the discussion with them, I have decided to use the AAFCO Dog Nutrient Requirements, originally from the Merck Veterinary Manual.

At least, it will give us a starting point. Hopefully, they will be able to point to specific items listed and tell me whether they need to be adjusted for performance dogs. We'll see ...

For those interested, here is a link to the list that I will be sending them:
  AAFCO Dog Nutrient Guidelines

It's quite interesting to note how different their recommendations are just for fat and protein content. I suspect there will be some other significant differences...

2 comments:

  1. They should have a performance requirement. Wonder what the Olympic athletes do for nutrition during training, pre and post competition?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it depends on the particular sport. I know they do heavy duty carb loading before competition in some sports. I don't know much about what they do for recovery. It would be particularly interesting to know what some of the swimmers do since they tend to compete in multiple events, some very close together.

    I have some information on what Dr. Gillette recommends for competition but want to make sure I have it right before I publish about it.

    ReplyDelete