Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Week 4, Day 4 - Mild Collapse

I knew that the schedule was going to be a little topsy turvy for the dogs today. I had a new lawncare service coming in and they intended to use Round Up (or something like it) to get some of the weed overgrowth under control. So, I planned to load the dogs up and take them to a park as soon as I got home to avoid any potential exposure. So our morning work out was just a nice long walk with both of them.

The weather has cooled significantly this week and it was a relatively nice cool 72-degrees when we got to the park. It had just gotten dark. I decided to do a typical interval routine in the dark. It would be a little more difficult than usual because Tor has a tendency to lose his ball in the dark. What can I say he get much more excited about running and forgets to listen for the ball (I use Whistler balls and you can also hear them bounce). So, after she finds her own ball, Gata goes and helps find Tor's ball. He usually loses his ball on the first throw of each set. Then he starts to pay attention again.

Anyway, I threw 1 set of 5 for them. Bot did well. We took a break and walked around the park. Both dogs went to the bathroom and we continued with the break period. Started a second set of 5 and Gata collapsed, very mildly, after the 4th throw. She recovered pretty quickly and walked out around the park and back to the car. I watered both dogs and headed home with them.

Gave them a recovery drink meal with egg, oatmeal, corn oil, salmon oil and meat mix. Both dogs seemed fine once we were home.

Gata also started the transition to Royal Canin 4800. Her meal before I left consisted of a chicken leg and 1/3 cup of Royal Canin in a roller ball. She managed to roll it under a piece of furniture while it still had about half of her ration in it. So, though I am trying to minimize mixing raw and kibble in a single meal, I'm glad I gave her a little raw this morning.

My intention is to continue with a recovery meal after their morning workout. I will feed them a small meal before I leave for work. For Gata, that meal will be Royal Canin in a roller ball. I intend to work her up to about 1 cup in the roller ball in the morning and stabilize her on that over the course of a week or so. Once she seems stable on that and her stool is good, I will start to transition her evening meal over to Royal Canin, as well. I expect it will take about 2 weeks. Hopefully, she will make the transition easily and her stool will stay OK. I expect that the amount of stool that she passes will increase but, hopefully, we can avoid any diarrhea or other signs of GI upset.

No comments:

Post a Comment