Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Week 2, Days 4 & 5

Meant to post yesterday, but got too busy.

It has been incredibly hot the last 2 mornings. I check the temp before I go out and gear up me and the dogs, so roughly 5:15 - 5:30. The last 2 mornings the temp at that time has already been 73-degrees F and steamy hot.

Yesterday:

Program: Walk to park, 2x5, Straight sets
Total time: 25 minutes
Status: Both dogs tired; Gata continued to heat up a little and showed a little bit of drunken sailor walking on the way home. Both recovered well and completely once home.

Prework: 1 square Pemmikan each, about 40 minutes before we left

Today:

Program: Walk to park, 1x7 + 1x3; Straight sets. I wanted to check their endurance a little bit given the heat. It seems improved, but too early to tell. Need more data. Need to take the time to add more sets, documenting recovery and number of reps in each to full evaluate. Will continue this sort of testing of sprint endurance.
Total time: 35 minutes (significant portion spent on loose leash walking on way to park)
Status: Gata tired before Tor today, but not bad; But both dogs clearly tired by the time we got out of the park. Walk home uneventful. Both dogs completed recovery uneventfully once there.

Prework: 1 square Pemmikan each, about 40 minutes before we left

Evening: Obedience work with both dogs.
Gata: 2 sets alternating between heeling and transport. 1 set of the Bailey exercise - totally gets it but would really rather be practicing send outs. Silly girl :

Tor: 2 sets working on intensity without the toy in my hand - had it (frisbee) tucked into the back of my jeans. 1 set of the Bailey exercise - he totally gets it, too.

Thanks goodness I got home early enough tonight to work the dogs again. They are feeling so good these days, that not working them again in the evening is just asking to be annoyed.

Have to say, Tor is looking amazing. I really need to get some good pictures of him. He finally looks like an adult male. And besides the new shine to his coat, it has also grown in very thick. I stripped his coat too much before I realized it. Since his coat is so much shorter than Gata's it is growing back in a little faster. And, I also stripped him down before Gata. But, to be honest, I didn't actually realize what I was doing until I started stripping Gata's coat and it became more obvious. I'm still glad I stripped Gata's coat. I think it has helped to cool her a little in the heat and humidity out here, but it's definitely not pretty!


No comments:

Post a Comment